Brewing with Fresh Hops

Forums HOMEBREWING Brewing with Fresh Hops

Tagged: 

This topic contains 2 replies, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  Joe Walts 9 months ago.

• Author

little steve
    Participant

I’m planning on making a beer with fresh hops from my Cascade harvest. I’ve seen that some brewers use all freshly picked hops throughput the brewing process, while others use dry hops at the beginning of the boil and only add fresh hops at the end of the boil. Seems adding the fresh hops later in the boil avoids any grassy flavors but obtains the fresh aromas from the fresh hops. Does anyone have any experience with brewing with fresh hops they can share?

Joe Walts
    Participant

Hey Steve,

I’ve never brewed a fresh hop beer, but the grassy character of the low-molecular weight hop oils – i.e. some of the first oils to volatilize in storage – is definitely a distinguishing factor. You either love it or hate it, and you’re correct that adding fresh hops late in the kettle will minimize it (although some might argue “what’s the point, then?”). Regardless of how you add them, fresh hops are about 80% water instead of ~8-10% for dried hops, so you should multiply all of your addition weights by 4-5%.

Good luck with the batch!

Joe

• This reply was modified 9 months ago by  Joe Walts.
    • This reply was modified 9 months ago by  Joe Walts.

Joe Walts
    Participant

The high water content of the hops can also impact your wort gravity.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.